My 6 year old son inspired me to bake this delicious cake after he brought home a bag full of home grown carrots he picked from my parents garden. Nothing quite beats home grown fruit and vegetables and I must say the carrots taste so delicious. To complement the carrots I decided to add apples and mixed spice in this recipe. The lingering aroma of cinnamon, apples, sugar and spice in the house when this loaf is baking is divine. This loaf can be served as after dinner dessert, afternoon tea or simply a snack.
3 Large Eggs
225g Self Raising Flour
170g Soft brown sugar
170g Margarine- make sure it is suitable for baking
100g Grated carrot
55g Grated gala apples
2Tsp Cinammon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4tsp clove powder.
For Orange icing:
2 heaped Tbsp of icing sugar
1Tbsp orange juice.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees for fan assisted). Prepare loaf tin by spraying with cake release or lining with greaseproof paper.
- Cream sugar and margarine together until fully combined. Add eggs one at a time and beat until mixture is smooth, if mixture is curdled add a spoonful of flour and mix till smooth.
- Fold in the flour, spices and oil. Finally add the carrots and apple and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for about 50-55 minutes.
- To ensure the loaf is cooked insert a skewer and if it comes out clean the loaf is baked.
- Once baked leave the loaf in the tin for about 5 mins before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make orange drizzle mix together icing sugar and orange juice. Using a spoon drizzle the icing onto the loaf