The use of rose in various forms such as rose syrup, rose water , rose essence and rose petals has been used in culinary cooking for many years. In Indian cooking it’s mainly used when making Indian sweets and sherbets.The strong but sweet smell of rose always attracts my senses and incorporating it into my baking is an exotic way to use it. I baked this eastern inspired rich chocolate and rose cake for a friend to celebrate her special birthday and the craze followed on from there. There are many variations to this cake especially with the icing and decoration. I have used Wilton Tip size 1M to pipe roses onto the cake and the same tip to pipe swirls onto cupcakes. If you don’t have these decorating equipment you can simply just ice the cake using a palette knife or create peaks on cake using the back of a spoon. This cake can be made as a celebration cake or a dessert cake.
Makes an 8″ cake to serve approx 6-8.
285g caster sugar
310g self raising flour
100g melted dark chocolate – minimum 50% cocoa
1tbsp sifted cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp milk
1.5 tbsp rose extract- Good Quality
Pink food colouring- preferably gel colours
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 160 for fan assisted. Prepare cake tin either by spraying with cake release or greaseproof paper.
2. In a mixer cream butter and sugar on medium speed till light and fluffy. Add eggs and whisk until you achieve a smooth consistency. Once this step is complete using a spatula scoop any unmixed mixture in the bowl and whisk again for a minute.
3. Gently fold in the flour. Once your batter is ready pour half the mixture in a bowl.
4. In one half of the mixture add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder and milk and gently fold until all incorporated.
5.In the other half of the mixture add the rose extract and a bit of pink food colouring ( amount depends on how pink you want the batter to be).
6. Using a spoon or a traditional ice cream scoop, scoop each batter alternatively and evenly into the cake pan so you get pink, chocolate, pink,chocolate.
7. Once this is complete place your tin in the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 50-60 mins. To ensure your cake is baked insert a skewer and it should come out clean. Cool the cake on a wire rack.
Rose Icing Ingredients:
1100g sifted icing sugar
2-3 tbsp milk
2 tsp rose extract
Pink food gel.
In a mixer use the balloon whisk attachment to whisk the butter on medium setting for about a minute and then add icing sugar.Whisk for about 5 minutes, add the milk, extract and make sure you have scooped up any mixture on the sides of the bowl and whisk for a further minute.
Decorate the cake according to the occasion or your personal choice. Every mouthful of this cake will fill your taste buds with a sweet delicate flavour of rose.
Tips: If using a free standing mixer, use the paddle attachment for cake mix and balloon whisk for the icing.
For hand mixer use the beaters. To learn how to pipe roses view online tutorials on youtube.