Whilst shopping in my local health food store I came across a packet of black rice which I found quite interesting. Previously I have tried wild rice so I assumed the taste will be similar. When I cooked the rice I was really impressed with its colour, taste and texture, it has a natural rich purple colour due to its anthocyanin content, a mild nutty taste and a crunchy texture. Black rice goes well eaten as a salad,main meal or desert. Here I have combined black rice with fine stem asparagus which has been panfried with cumin,garlic,salt and chilli flakes. I served this up with a fiery ginger and lime dressing and fresh apricots. You maybe thinking apricots? Actually all the flavours blend so well that they complemet each other. The sweetness of apricots and sharpness of dressing balances the garlic and cumin pan fried asparagus and black rice adds the crunchiness and nutty flavour. Chilli flakes and fiery ginger gives this delicious dish a slight kick.
Serves 2-3 as a light meal served with salad
Slimming world syns- rice is free, dressing has 6 syns so per serving approx 2 syns
Frylight- low calorie spray
200g Black Rice
200g Asparagus chopped
6 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 Tsp cumin seeds
1/2 Tsp Chilli Flakes
30ml water for Asparagus
700ml water (for rice)
2 Fresh Apricots chopped in approx 2-3cm pieces
For the dressing:
1 Tbsp olive oil
30g fresh ginger
Juice of 2 fresh limes (medium size limes)
2 Tsp Sweetner
1. Wash the rice 3-4 times to remove all starch to prevent clumping once cooked.
2. Bring water to boil in a pan, add the rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 mins until all water is absorbed. Once water is absorbed, turn off the heat, leave it covered and let it stand for 15 minutes.
3. In a pan, spray frylight and add cumin seeds, once they start to crackle, add the garlic and sautee for a minute. Add the asparagus, salt, chilli flakes and 30 ml water. Cook till water absorbed, asparagus should be cooked but crunchy.
4. To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in the blender/food processor and whizz. Pour the dressing through a sieve into a bowl and discard the remains in the sieve.
5. Mix the rice, apricots and asparagus and dress with lime and ginger dressing.