Until a few days ago I disliked Figs purely due to a bad experience a few years ago when I consumed dried figs, however, my husband loves figs and tends to eat them on their own or in porridge. I purchased these gorgeous figs in my regular shop and took the chance to try fresh figs. One bite and my previous bad experience turned into a positive experience to the point where I devoured the whole fig. The taste and texture of fresh fig was lingering on my tongue and as usual I started thinking about what flavours would blend well with figs and what can I cook or bake. It was almost like a light bulb moment when I could taste the flavours of fresh figs, apricots, cinnamon and oats in a muffin. The idea that was buzzing in my head had to be made into reality to savour the flavour combination.
Makes 12 Muffins.
270g Self Raising flour-sifted
1/2 Tsp Baking powder
150g Light brown sugar
130ml Vegetable oil
160g Chunky chopped fresh figs
80g Chunky chopped fresh apricots
1 Tsp Cinnamon powder
1. Take a tablespoon of flour and mix it into the chopped fruit and set aside.
2. Pre heat the oven to 180 degree C or 160 for fan. Line muffin tins with paper cases.
3. In a bowl mix all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mix all wet ingredients together.
4. Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix using a balloon whisk.
5. Add the chopped fruit and mix using a wooden spoon, do not over mix the batter.
6. Spoon batter into cases and place in oven to bake for 20-25 mins.
7. Once muffins are cooked remove them from the tin straight away and transfer to wire rack to cool.
Enjoy these deliciously spiced muffins for breakfast or with a lovely cup of tea any time of the day.