It seems like I’m on a roll with baking muffins recently, to be honest it’s the autumnal weather. Whenever I hear or see the word Autumn my brain overloads with all the fruits, veg and spices associated with this season such as pumpkins, blackberries, cinnamon,cloves, oranges, apples and list goes on,mind you a few of them overlap with the winter season too but will leave that for another day. Personally speaking I do love how the Americans and Canadians celebrate the Fall season and fact that stores are full of pumpkin related products ranging from scented candles to hand washes, scents,spice mix, cookie mix, cake mix, drinks and so on. Many of my fellow bloggers have recently blogged about pumpkins and for some time I have been meaning to utilise pumpkin in a sweet or savoury dish. These blogs inspired me and here I am with my spiced pumpkin and apple muffins. Muffins are great as they make lovely lunch bag treats for kids, can be enjoyed for breakfast, tea or In fact any time of the day. The combination of apples and pumpkin adds a slight twist to this recipe.
As soon as these trays went in the oven to bake, the whole house was aromatised with the scent of warm cinnamon and lingering flavours of pumpkin, apple and spice.
Makes 12 muffins
170g light brown sugar
225g Sifted Self raising flour
90g Chopped apple- any eating apple
140g Pumpkin purée
2 Tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tsp ground ginger
1/4 Tsp ground clove
1/4 Tsp ground nutmeg
Granulated sugar for sprinkling
1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees, 160 for fan. Line muffin tin with cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar till light, add eggs and whisk . Add pumpkin purée and beat till mixture is smooth.
3. Fold in the flour and spices scraping off any mixture from sides of bowl.
4. Stir in the apples and spoon batter into muffin cases 3/4 full.
5. Sprinkle generous amount of sugar on each batter and bake for 20 mins.
6. Once baked remove the muffins out if the tray and transfer to wire rack to cool.
Tip: I made my own pumpkin puree by roasting pumpkin in the oven and then puree in a blender. Alternatively, if you are short of time, steam and blend.
I have a few more pumpkin recipes to come but for now I hope you enjoy baking these gorgeous muffins.
Happy Baking x x x x