A very Happy Diwali and Prosperous New Year to all my lovely readers and followers. Today’s recipe post is a follow on from the gajar halwa recipe I posted yesterday. Whilst hubby was making the halwa I was concocting a cupcake recipe in my head and this was the outcome. The cupcakes are delicately spiced with Saffron and Cardamom, by adding greek yoghurt it gives a soft texture but more so balances all the flavours. I have then cored the cupcakes and filled them with gajar halwa and finished off with a creamy butter icing.
Gajar Halwa Cupcakes with Saffron Butter Cream
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
1 x Gajar Halwa
180g Self raising flour sifted
160 g Caster sugar
195g Greek yoghurt
1 Tsp Ground cardamom
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Pinch saffron strands
50ml Soda water
Butter Cream Icing
250g Butter- room temperature
350g Icing Sugar
2 Tbsp Milk
2 Pinches Saffron strands
1. Pre heat oven to 190 degree C or 170 for fan assisted. Line muffin tray with liners.
2. In a bowl add flour, sugar, saffron and cardamom. Stir all dry ingredients together.
3. Pour in the oil, greek yoghurt,vanilla and water and mix until all combined and no lumps present.
4. Scoop equal amounts of batter into muffin cases.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. To check if cooked, inserted skewer should come out clean.
6. To make the icing, heat saffron and milk together and leave to cool.
7. Whisk butter, icing sugar and cooled saffron milk until fluffy. If mixture is a bit stiff add a couple of drops of milk.
8. Once cakes are baked, remove from muffin tin and cool them down on a wire rack.
9. Once cooled, using a paring knife or sharp knife cut out the middle of the cupcakes, fill them with gajar halwa.
10. Fill a piping bag with open star nozzle and icing and pipe stars as demonstrated in the picture.
Your cupcakes are ready to be served and enjoyed.