After a long weekend of indulging in heavenly sweet and savoury foods my body was screaming out to me for recovery. Looking in my fridge I found some leeks and peppers and thought to myself “haven’t made risotto in a while”, this is one of those meals that fill up and satisfy the family especially when the weather has turned bitter and cold. As you can probably tell we love italian food in our household, even when out for dinner, our first option will always be italian. I must say that when we are out dining we tend not to opt for risotto for me it’s purely because of how creamy and rich they make it, although I enjoy a bit of creaminess, too much makes me feel a bit nauseous. This recipe is a healthier alternative but with flavours that you will savour.
Bell Peppers stuffed with Leek and Corn Risotto
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time 30-40 minutes
350g Arborio Risotto rice
500g Leeks trimmed and sliced into rings
4 Garlic cloves minced
1 Green chilli finely chopped
1 Small tin sweetcorn
1200ml Vegetable stock or alternative
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp Mixed dried herbs
1 Tbsp Philadelphia light Garlic and Herb
6 Medium size bell peppers de-stalked and de seeded
Frylight or alternative
1. In a deep or wide pan heat the oil, add the chilli, garlic and leeks, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the rice and sweetcorn and stir well to make sure rice is coated in a bit of oil.
3. Add a ladle of stock and let the risotto simmer and cook, once water starts to absorb, add more stock and continue this until all the water has been added usually takes about 30 minutes. During this stage remember to stir to prevent sticking as there isn’t much fat used.
4. Add salt and stir in Philadelphia Light.
5. Pre heat oven to 200 degree C, spray fry light or oil on the peppers and bake in oven for 15 minutes.
6. Stuff peppers with risotto rice, sprinkle the cheese and return to oven to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
7. Serve immediatley with mixed leaf salad.