Whenever I make this easy yet classic curry dish, it brings back memories of my childhood watching my mum prepare this dish together with Roti’s. From a young age we were always taught to eat greens and lentils on a daily basis for its nutritional value, hence these staples were on our weekly menu.. I have now adopted this into my meal menus and even now I look forward to it. The great thing about this curry is that you can make it into a dal type consistency should you wish to enjoy it on its own.
Classic Spinach and Moong Dhal Curry:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
Slimming World syns: less than 1 per serving
200g Yellow moong dal washed well several times
250g Fresh spinach washed and chopped
2 Tsp Cumin seeds
3 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tsp Olive oil
1/2 Tsp Red chilli powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently.
2. Add the washed moong dal, water, salt and turmeric and let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
3. Add the chopped spinach and chilli powder and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the dal is cooked but firm.
Serve this with hot roti’s and some pickle.
1. You can add more chilli powder to make it spicy.
2. If you wish to have a soup/dal consistency then add a bit more water and let cook till dal becomes a bit mushy.