Doesn’t the sound of that make your mouth water? It sure did for me when I was thinking of a sweet combination of flavours that would wow your taste buds and awaken your senses. After all it is Valentines day just three days away and you have to have chocolate as that is the language of love right? Now when it comes to Valentines, for some reason everything doubles up in cost from gifts, flowers to meals so this time why not give your better half a home made treat? Many of you celebrate this day, many of you don’t it’s individual choice and yes we appreciate our loved ones in our lives every single day not just on this special day. However, adding a personal touch to a home made gift would make anyone’s heart flutter, especially with this delightful trio of black cherries, chocolate and salted caramel. SugarandCrumbs were kind enough to send me samples of their newly arrived flavours of icing sugar: coffee and salted caramel. The salted caramel icing sugar is brilliant, so easy to use all you need to do is mix with butter and voila you get a creamy, delicious salted caramel flavoured icing. The sweetness of black cherries in combination with rich chocolate and salted caramel teases your palate leaving you wanting more 😉
Black cherry, Chocolate and salted caramel cupcakes
Preparation time:30 minutes- includes piping icing
Baking time:25 minutes
Makes: 12-14 cupcakes
180g Butter- room temperature
180g Caster sugar
3 Large eggs- room temperature
210g Self raising flour- sifted
25g Cocoa powder- sifted
180g Black cherry fruit filling- I used tinned fruit filling, you will require rest for decorating
Salted Caramel Buttercream
(Please note: if you want to pipe the icing as per the pictures this amount of icing will only cover 8 cupcakes)
150g Unsalted butter at room temperature
250g Sugar and crumbs salted caramel icing sugar.
Edible heart cake decorations
Remainder of black cherry fruit filling.
1. Line muffin tray with cupcake liners and set aside. Pre heat oven to 180 degree C or 160 for Fan assisted.
2. In your mixer or bowl cream butter and sugar until creamy, add whisked eggs and beat until smooth.
3. Fold in self raising flour and coca powder until mixed.
4. Finally stir in the black cherry filling.
5. Using a traditional ice cream scoop or a spoon, divide the batter into 12-14 cupcake liners and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
6. Once baked, an inserted skewer should come out clean. Remove from muffin tin and cool on a wire cake rack.
7. To make the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar until creamy and light, you may need to add 1-2 tsp of water if icing is too stiff.
8. Once cooled you can spread the icing on the cupcakes with a knife or you can pipe using an open star piping nozzle. Decorate with edible heart shapes and finish off with a black cherry topping.
Salted Caramel Buttercream – Method 2 ( can be used as an alternative if you don’t have the ready flavoured icing sugar)
200g Unsalted butter at room temperature
400g Icing sugar
2-3 Tbsp Salted Caramel
1. Beat the butter and icing sugar until creamy and light. Stir in the salted caramel sauce until well mixed.
To ice and decorate all of the cupcakes I used sugar and crumbs to complete 8 and for the rest I used method 2.
Go on share a cupcake with your loved one and make their heart flutter 😉