So did you all enjoy eating wonderful pancakes with a variety of toppings on pancake day? Do you feel maybe you can have some more but a different variety perhaps? Well to carry on with the theme of pancakes free from Friday’s brings you this delightful Gujarati recipe of besan pudla (chick pea flour pancakes). Besan known as chick pea flour is a great option for those who are intolerant or allergic to wheat, it has a lovely nutty flavour, creamy texture and can be used as it is or roasted in a variety of recipes. You will love this recipe because it’s quick and easy but best of all its one for the whole family, kids and adults will enjoy these on their own, with chutney or with additional toppings. Why not make these gluten and dairy free pancakes into a delicious brunch or a simple but nutritious snack? Last minute guests? Fear not this recipe will do the trick and satisfy those cravings of something nice but with spice 🙂
Gluten and Dairy free spiced Besan Pudla
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: 6 Pudlas
100g Chickpea flour
1/4 Tsp ajwain seeds
1 Tsp fresh grated ginger
2 Tbsp fresh chopped coriander
Salt to taste
Less than 1/4 Tsp Red chilli powder or to taste, alternatively can add minced green chillies
Oil for cooking
1. In a bowl add flour, ajwain seeds, salt, chilli, ginger and coriander. Pour water into the mix and stir into a batter without any flour lumps.
2. Place a flat non stick frying pan on medium heat, pour some oil just enough to grease the pan. Careful not to add too much oil or else you wont be able to spread the batter in a circle.
3. Using a ladle, pour batter onto the pan and using the back of the ladle swirl the batter into a thin circle.
4. Cook one side for about 20 seconds, using a flat spatula flip the pudla and cook the other side for another 20-30 seconds. Take 1/4-1/2 tsp of oil and spread around the edges of the pudla.
5. Carry on making the rest of the pudlas till batter has finished.
6. Serve pudlas hot with chutney or salad. Here I have served with Apple chutney which accompanies this dish really well. You can serve with mint and coriander chutney or alternatives.