Sometimes do you crave a salad that is full of flavour but filling too? Not just a plate of leaves served with dressing? Well hands up of you like potatoes, I absolutely love them, ever since a kid and even more when I saw that you can consume potatoes in so many forms from plain boiled to chips to croquettes and the list can carry on. What’s even better? Seriously the colour of potatoes ok we all see white flesh potatoes and orange but was amazed when I came across purple potatoes a few months ago Potatoes are a versatile vegetable commonly used in Indian dishes that can be simply transformed with a few herbs and spices. This week’s recipe is an aromatic, tangy and spicy green chilli and coriander marinated baby potatoes which have been pan fried and served with wild rocket, pepper and pomegranate salad. To go with this wonderful salad is a delightful raita dressing made with fat free yoghurt. Seriously a summer salad that you’d want to savour. Raita is a cooling yoghurt dish very commonly eaten in Indian households either with parathas, roti’s or an accompaniment to a meal. There are various types of raita that you can make but for this salad recipe I’ve kept it quite simple. The green chilli and coriander marinade used in this recipe is so versatile, you can marinate paneer, halloumi or practically any other vegetables. In fact if you are having a barbeque why not make appetizing vegetable or potato skewers to be cooked on the BBQ.
Green chilli and coriander marinated baby potato and pomegranate salad served with raita dressing
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
For the marinade:
1 1/2 Cup fresh coriander leaves and stalk
3 Cherry tomatoes
2 Cloves garlic
1 Green chilli
1 1/2 Tsp roasted cumin seeds
2 Tbsp rice flour
Salt to taste
Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Salad:
700g Baby potatoes- washed
4 Tbsp oil
1 Yellow bell pepper diced
300g Wild rocket
Seeds of 1 fresh pomegranate- leave 1 tbsp aside for the raita
For the Raita dressing:
100-150g Fat free yoghurt
2 Tbsp finely grated carrot
2 Tbsp finely grated cucumber
1-2 Tbsp water
Salt to taste
1/4 Tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
1. To make the marinade/paste, add all the marinade ingredients in a blender and whizz together to form a smooth mixture.
2. Bring a pan of water to a boil, add the potatoes and boil for approx 15 minutes until cooked but firm.
3. Once cooked, drain the water, cut in half and set aside.
4. In a non stick pan, heat the oil, add the potatoes and fry for 7-10 minutes until slightly browned. Stir in the paste taking care not to break the potatoes in the process.
5. Cook for 1-2 minutes, turn off the heat and set aside.
6. To make the raita dressing, in a bowl combine all the ingredients except for pomegranate and water. Add water to your requirement if you want a semi thick dressing just add one tablespoon, if you want it slightly runny add 2. Sprinkle the pomegranates on top.
7. To prepare the salad, in a bowl arrange wild rocket followed by yellow peppers. Arrange the potatoes and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Serve with dressing.