Happy Cinco De Mayo to all who celebrate, to be honest I’d love to experience a full on Mexican celebration, their culture, music and regional dancing together with enticing dishes to savour, with all that zesty,spicy, smokey, crunchy, sweet flavours and textures on offer who wouldn’t? Oh and not to forget those heavenly margaritas ;), perhaps a thought but possibly could have embarked on the opportunity to create a virtual Cinco De Mayo party, maybe next time. Do you celebrate such a significant part of History? What’s on your menu if you’re celebrating? How about this quick and easy but absolutely delicious chipotle spiced sweet potato fries? The rich smoky taste of chipotle cuts through the sweetness of these bright orange flesh potatoes, by adding a few other ingredients you’ll be bowled over by its flavour and simplicity…and they’re baked so an added bonus 🙂
Chipotle Spiced Sweet Potato Fries- Gluten free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time:20-25 minutes
3-4 medium sized sweet potatoes
1-1.5 Tbsp oil
For the spice mix:
1 Tbsp Chipotle powder
1 Tsp Paprika powder
1 Tsp Granulated garlic
1/2 Tsp Salt or more per taste
For the Smooth Guacamole dip:
1 Ripe avocado
1 Clove garlic
1 Small red onion
1 Tbsp chopped coriander
1/4 Tsp roasted cumin seeds
1 Tsp Tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of half a lime
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree C, line a tray with foil.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut length ways into half. Cut each half into approx 1 cm thick length (you can cut thick or thin ).Rinse under cold water and leave in colander for a few minutes to dry.
3. Once dry, transfer onto the lined tray, add the oil and mix until potatoes are coated. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes to bake.
4. To make the spice mix, mix all the spices together and set aside.
5.Once fries have baked, remove from the oven, sprinkle the spice mix ( please note you won’t use the full quantity of spice mix so add as much or little as you like ) over the fries and mix.
6. To make the guacamole, add all the ingredients into a blender and give a quick whizz until smooth.
7. Serve these fries hot with lime wedges and guacamole dip.