Have you heard of Sugar and Crumbs before? Yes? Then you know exactly what I’m talking about, if No then you really are missing out on their huge range of naturally flavoured icing sugars. A few weeks ago they asked for baking bloggers to get in touch with them to test and review their new range of flavoured chocolate icing sugars and of course I couldn’t resist. They sent me two different flavours one was jaffa twist which yes you guessed correct is chocolate orange and the other one was chocolate milkshake which really speaks for it self. Previously having trialed some of their gorgeous range of flavoured icing sugars such as salted caramel, pear drops, coffee I was expecting the same high quality natural tasting product and may I see they didn’t fail on that.
Firstly let’s start with the packaging, their products are packaged in a lovely eye catching pink resealable pouch which is extremely handy when you don’t want to use up all of the sugar. What I really liked was at the back of the pouch there are clear instructions on how to make the perfect butter cream with their icing sugars, ingredients list, range of flavours and the size. So even if you’ve never made butter cream before simply follow their instructions and voila you’ll get a smooth, creamy and amazingly tasty frosting without any artificial flavours. Trust me when I say who ever eats this frosting will want more and even offer to lick the bowl….. So after tasting both of these lovely flavoured chocolate icing sugars here’s my review on their taste and a simple recipe for you all to enjoy 😉
Jaffa twist: I found this to be slightly bitter, but overall once spread onto a cake and consumed it tasted delicious.
Chocolate milkshake: absolutely delicious, it’s literally like drinking chocolate milkshake, love the creamy smooth texture.
Jaffa Twist Chocolate Cake
190g Caster sugar
3 Large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 Tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
2 Tbsp milk
180g Self raising flour
20g Cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
Jaffa twist butter cream:
250g Jaffa twist icing sugar
2-3 tbsp milk.
1. Grease and line a 6 inch cake tin. Pre heat the oven to 180 degree C or 160 degree for fan assisted.
2. In a bowl cream the butter and sugar until creamy and light. Add in eggs one by one beating well in between each addition to achieve a smooth mix.
3. Mix in the vanilla, dissolved coffee and milk.
4. Gently fold in the flour and cocoa powder into a smooth batter.
5. Pour into prepared tin and bake in oven for 50-55 minutes. If an inserted skewer comes out clean your cake is ready.
6. Remove cake from oven, leave in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the icing, whip all of the ingredients into a creamy icing.
8. Once cake is completely cooled, slice horizontally to sandwich with butter cream and spread the remainder on top of the cake. I wanted a slightly melted filling in the middle, hence sliced it whilst it was just a tad warm and spread the butter cream 😉
Ps: The opinions of this product are my own and Sugar and Crumbs provided free samples for review.